Saturday, May 07, 2011

How I Wore It: The White Button-Down Top

 Over the last week I've remixed my Express white button-down 5 different ways, and over the span of ARTBF it's been a staple item in my work wardrobe.  The White Button-Down Top (hereafter referred to as "WBD") is the quintessential piece of business-casual clothing.  Tucked in, tied up or tails out, it's always appropriate and always in style.

Five Ways to Wear the WBD


Nautical Notions:  The WBD is the perfect piece for a preppy picnic on the river.  Pair with bright heels, a classic color palette, a voluminous skirt and gold jewelry for an all-American good girl ensemble.

















Professional Partier:  Worn with a vest and floral skirt, the WBD can transition easily from the office to an evening out.  Layer on the chunky jewelry, slip on your cutest wedges, grab a clutch and you're ready for happy hour before the clock hits 5.

















Sophisticated Scholar: Make it your business to look good by layering a colorful blazer over your WBD and finish the look with a pencil skirt, statement belt and pumps for a professionally stylish ensemble.

















Floral Frockery:  Wear your WBD underneath a floral sheath or jumper for an ensemble with wholesome appeal.  Accessorize like a grown-up with a statement necklace tucked under your collar and sky-high heels.

















Funky Friday:  The WBD doesn't always have to be dressy.  Use it in a pulled-together look with denim and a printed cardigan and accessorize eclectically with scarves and charm jewelry.
















Other Ways I've Worn It
How do you wear your WBD?  

Share/Bookmark

17 comments:

Salazar said...

This is great! I haven't got a lot of wear out of my WBD, but this has given me a lot of ideas. Thanks Tiffany!

14 Shades Of Grey

Tanvi said...

You are a genius. I like it all 5 ways ... But the second look is too cut for words! :)

♡ from © tanvii.com

srochelle said...

I think I'm going to have to bookmark this post for inspiration to wear any button down shirt! You did a great job this week and I love the ways you have worn it as well!

Rochelle

http://rochelleapproved.tumblr.com/

Brookelyn said...

Wow! What creative ways to wear it!

lisa said...

I have yet to find a good white button-down that I really like. Most are too sheer or made of shoddy cotton that won't stay crisp, or they don't fit properly. Argh!

RocquelleIsLovely said...

You definitely know how to WORK a WBD my dear! I haven't found a WBD I love just yet, but the first look in this post has me wanting to go get one!

Stef / Diversions said...

Fab remixes! Love it :)

I actually find it quite hard to style my WBDs. Usually I'll wear them under a dress so you've given me some ideas to further my range here :) Great looks!

Debbie Baker Burns said...

My favs are Sophisticated Scholar and Funky Friday! Congrats on being picked for ifb! Great post idea.

JTWisdom said...

Cool, love all the looks. I love the sophisticated scholar.

JTwisdom

Mallory In New York said...

This is such a great post! I always have trouble finding versatile pieces to add to my wardrobe, but i've definitely gotten some great ideas of how to wear the WBD from this post!! I love the 'sophisticated scholar' look best!

http://malloryinnewyork.blogspot.com

Linka said...

Love the post! Very fashion inspiring! Love your blog!

Danielle Celeste Couture said...

WBD is a necessity like water. Hey what about the WBD + the LBD. I think it's an equation for something fabulous. hey, check me out <a href="http://www.danielleceleste.me/>here!</a>

A said...

Fabulous! Very creative :)

jennysanzo said...

love love love... everyone needs one!

lifesobsessions.com said...

Great post!

I'm all about using pieces in my closet as many ways as possible!

-Tee

Jonna said...

That's such a versatile shirt and you've found great ways to wear it :) I love especially the third look! x

TheOnlineStylist said...

Fabulous inspiration for what is one of my favourite style staples! Having seen your post, I think I'll wear mine knotted over a navy maxi dress this weekend! x