Monday, July 11, 2011

hello there, stop staring!

It's no secret that I prefer silhouettes that flatter my curves, so when Stop Staring! offered to outfit me in one of their retro chic dresses I was thrilled to accept.  I was nervous that I might have too many curves to do the dress justice- I mean the model wearing it is a tiny little thing- but to my delight it does all the right things for my figure.  The fabric has enough stretch to fit my form closely without feeling too tight, and the twisted top gives my bust the boost it needs for a neckline this low.  I zipped it up and instantly felt like a million-bucks, and my first though was that this is one of those dresses I need to wear on the mornings I wake up feeling not-thin.  It's a mood-enhancer, looking into the mirror and seeing a bombshell silhouette reflected back.  But lest you think these dresses are only for ladies with bodacious curves (I flatter myself), check out petite bloggers Kristine (Kristine. Or Polly) and Nubia (Nubia's Nonsense).  They look amazing too, amiright?  And you know who else loves Stop Staring! dresses? Coco.  Admit it, you watch Ice loves Coco and you secretly love it too.  My point is, basically anyone can wear these dresses and look amazing (and thus, feel amazing).

If you still need convincing, then let me add that all Stop Staring! dresses (and skirts, etc) are made in the good ol' US of A and many styles are available in plus sizes.  As far as the fit is concerned, I compared my measurements to the sizing chart (I always round up) and ordered an XL since I wasn't certain how the fit would run but I found that the dress actually runs true to form and I probably could have ordered a large, which is what I normally choose.  It actually fit really well out of the box but given the elasticity of the fabric it was fitting a bit looser at the end of the day (after getting in and out of the car and other errandy activites).  That said, I imagine that after having it dry cleaned it will return to the original snugness once again.  I also shortened the hem about 4 inches so that it would fall right below my knee as opposed to lower calf.  This isn't unusual for me- it is advertised as hitting below the knee but I'm a short lady with short legs.  So aside from those minor issues which were more my problems than the dress's, I give it my stamp of approval.

I am totally pleased with this dress.  Although I'm a thrifty girl and typically don't spend over $100 for a dress, I would make an exception for this company.  It's not often that you  find a vintage-inspired frock made of quality fabric with the perfect fit at the thrift store.  It just doesn't happen (often, at least. And if it happens to you all the time then I want to know what size you are and where you shop.)  When special occasions roll around that qualify a shopping spree for just the right dress, I'd order from Stop Staring!- we all like to splurge for birthdays, anniversaries or awards ceremonies.  Or don't wait for a special reason to shop, just do it because you owe it to yourself to invest in a sexy dress.  Looking for that perfect LBD? Here. Need something sexy to vacuum in? Gotcha covered. I'm even toying with a rockabilly-themed Halloween costume and now I know just the place to start my search...


*That exclamation point at the end of the company name is theirs, not mine, although I am quite excited about the dress. Also, the name is quite fitting because I had to creatively crop out quite a few lurkers from these photos.  Men like this dress.
Share/Bookmark

25 comments:

CindyRex said...

The print and cut of that dress are fabulous. I love that you paired it with a beige cardigan and brown belt and wedges, but didn't play it down too much by adding that amazing flower necklace. What a great outfit.

Anja said...

What a lovely dress! Looks amazing on you! Definitely need to check those dresses out. I am always on the lookout for more things that bring a nice shape to my hourglass figure!

Monika said...

You look gorgeous!

xStroutx said...

You look stunning! I will definitely be looking this company up!

Stef / Diversions said...

Stunning! C/O envy ensues ;)

Sam said...

Ohhh that dress is so beautiful on you! I love the cut of it! I'm currently searching Stop Staring and having some issues not ordering one of everything!

Shelley Sarina said...

Your curves look fab my dear!!!!
Cheers,
S.
www.shelleysarina.blogspot.com

Eclectic Flair said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eclectic Flair said...

Wow, I LOVE that dress! I'm so tempted to order one too. Love the fact that it fits all sort of body types (specially since I'm sadly lacking in the curves department)!

Lidi @ Eclectic Flair

No Guilt Fashion said...

This dress looks absolutely perfect on you! Love that necklace too!
No Guilt Fashion

ithinkinpink said...

VA VA VOOM was the first thing that came to mind! You look smashing! This dress is so flattering! I'm not much for the floral prints this year, but you seem to rock all the good ones! I would steal this dress in a heartbeat!
Xoxo,
Corrine
PS... I just saw Ice loves Coco for the first time last night... I will be watching it again lol

literatureandlace.com said...

Wow! You look amazing in that dress! :) You have the same figure as my sister, so I'm gonna send her your blog ASAP! :)

Mimi said...

Cool, never heard of them before but adorable dress! I love how you layered the cardi and the belt over it..very sweet;)
Aesthetic Lounge

Shea said...

This dress looks stunning on you! I can tell why you fell in love with it. It looks great paired with neutrals--it makes the dress really pop.

woreout said...

ME-OWWWWWW!You are on fire girl. I am loving how you paired the dress and cardigan, you're killin it girl.

Kirstin Marie said...

I love the cut of this dress on you. You look beautiful!!

S. said...

My God, Tiff! You look like Joan Holloway in this dress, and it's just fabulous on you! I know the silhouette is a bit outside your comfort zone, but I love it -- you look so grown up, sophisticated and chic!

Grace said...

I love your outfit so much!

xx Grace
Dream-Boating

Jaclyn said...

Great style. I love the look of a sleek dress with a cardigan. Just cam across your blog, I love your style!

Jazzy E (hivenn) said...

May I just say, your body is ROCKIN'. x hivenn

tima i. said...

this dress is terrific on you, and i love the total look too!

guildedsecret. said...

girl you are WORKING your curves... and the addition of a sweetheart bun really sets the outfit off perfectly :)

with love,
guildedsecret formerly princesspolitico

hellotampon said...

1. The dress looks great on you.
2. Your necklace is uh-mazing!
3. Having to crop various "admirers" out of the photos is kinda hilarious.

Cammila Albertson said...

Oh honey, I love Stop Staring! and I love it even more on you. Just gorgeous -- perfect for your red hot figure.

Oddly enough, I had a Canastas show on Saturday and even though I had a major tummy ache, I knew I could just slip on a Stop Staring wiggle dress and it would stretch around my aching middle and look good without causing me additional pain. If that's not an ideal dress, I don't know what is. :)

Rae said...

I used this for the "copy cat" challenge over Freckles in April. I'll link to you on my blog post, but I'd love to include a photo from here, if you don't mind. Please let me know!